Wholesome, warm and deeply satisfying; this soup is what winter dreams are made of. Come in from an afternoon of snowshoeing and tobogganing, take off your mittens and toques, and warm yourselves with a bowl of hearty goodness.
How to make it:
What You’ll Need:
- 4 heaping cups diced potatoes, divided in half
- 3 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- ½ cup raw cashews (soaked overnight or for 1-2 hours in boiling water)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth (dived 4 cups for soup, 2 for cheezy sauce)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 large head of broccoli
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Herbamare (or salt)
Make the Soup Base
- In a large stockpot, sauté onions and garlic in a little bit of water until tender and fragrant. Add oregano and 4 cups of veggie broth, 2 heaping cups of potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and allow potatoes to cook through.
- In a separate pot, boil broccoli florets until tender. If you prefer, you can add the broccoli to the main soup towards the end, instead of cooking separately.
Make the Cheeze Sauce
- Boil 2 heaping cups of diced potatoes and the diced carrots together, until tender. Strain and add to blender. Add 2 cups of veggie broth, nutritional yeast, white wine vinegar and cashews to blender as well.
- Blend until smooth.
Finish the Soup
- Once the potatoes in the stockpot have finished cooking, add the cheeze sauce and broccoli florets.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.